The Department of Computer Science at SCC imparts quality education and training to the students to transform them into competent computer professionals, to take on the challenges of globalization and Information Technology. Training on both software and hardware concepts equip students with adequate knowledge and practice. All the students are recommended to own laptops for their personal study purposes. The department is a platform for the global community of students to interact and learn from each other. Classroom teaching is supplemented with add on programs for skill development in order to make the students job ready. The dedicated faculty members of the department work in unison to provide vibrant learning environment to the students to help them excel.
The department was established in 2006 with 10 students of B. Sc. Appreciating the growing importance of Computer Applications in business and visualizing the career prospects, in 2007, SCC launched Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) with 25 students. At present, the departmenthas160 students and 5 faculty members.International students from Uganda, Ivory Coast, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and other countries help students inculcate cross cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Vision of the Department
To create and sustain an environment and culture that fosters excellence, diversity, innovative thinking, scientific temperand ethical behavior to serve both society and the Information Technology domain
To strive and attain excellence in the field of Information Technologyby exposing students to theoretical and application aspects that involves synergistic endeavors of faculty and students.
- • Gaining significant knowledge in the areas of Information Technology
- • Developing analytical and critical thinking skills required for success in scientific endeavors.
- • Developing research skills through independent research projects and an understanding of the scientific process.
- • Relating and applying abstract concepts to concrete, real – world problems.
- • Exploring individual scientific interests through expanded learning opportunities.
- • Encouraging active and effective participation in collaborative learning experiences to maximize academic and social growth.
- • Utilizing technology effectively for teaching and learning process .
- • Encouraging both students and faculty members to become involved in activities such as clubs, field trips, enrichment classes, workshops etc., that enhance the understanding of the latest trends in the Information Technology.
- • Becoming aware of the role and responsibility of the scientific community in the solutions to global problems.
Student Enrichment Programs
• Company visits and educational trips
The idea of arranging company visits and educational trips is to give adequate exposure to students in the Information Technology field. Company visits also help students to gain authentic information regarding functioning of a company.The students of the Department have been visitingIT giants like Microsoft, Wipro Technologies, Microsoft Research India, C – DAC, UST Global etc. As part of educational trips students are also encouraged to go for outstation company visits which providethem the opportunity to experience new environments and enjoy a day away from the classroom.
• Add – on programs
Certified .Net Programming Specialist (CNPS), Certified Windows App Developer (CWAD) and Certified Web Apps Development Using J2EE (CWADJ) are add – on programs offered by the department in association with APTECH Computer Education, a Global Training Institute. The course was introduced in 2011. The key objective of these programs is to enhance the students’ technical skills and to help them meet the industry technical skill requirement. This training also concentrates on implementing the technologies learnt to a Project. In collaboration with Innovative Institute of Network Technology (IINT), the department also conducts Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) for those aspirants who have a passion in the networking domain. The course offers a thorough overview on the scope of Routing and IOS in the field of Information Technology. In collaboration with SAP India, SAP 01 and SAP B1 (Functional and Technical) courses are also provided to the students at very affordable costs. The curriculum of all add – on programs are designed to meet the needs of students planning a career in the current Information Technology field.
• IT Club
The Department of Computer Science coordinates various skills enhancing activitiesamong students through IT (Information Technology) Club.The Club promotes and facilitates the effective integration of technology into the basic mission of the College through planning and implementing various competitions and activities. To keep pace with the rapid changes in the Information Technology sector, IT Club plays an important role.The Cluborganizes inter – collegiate IT fests for sharing and exhibiting the technological talents among students. The students of IT Club regularly participate at various National and State level Inter – Collegiate IT Fests and win prizes.
• Technovation, Inter –collegiate IT Fest
The IT Club of the departmentconducts annual Inter – collegiate IT Fest,Technovation, which provides a platform to the students of the department to explore their talents and to apply their organizational skills. Technovation- Technological step to innovateoffers opportunities to various students todiscover their organizational and technological abilities
• Extension Activities
The Department coordinates extension activities that sensitize students to be socially responsible.The department conducts Computer Literacy Programme for School Children in the neighbourhood to impart fundamental knowledge of Computers. In association with the Entrepreneurship Cell of the college, the department also coordinates Computer Literacy Program for Homemakers of the neighborhood.
• Peer teaching, experimental learning and e - learning practices
To help the slow learner, the department encourages the practice of peer teaching among students. The high achievers help the slow learners perform better in academics. This practice has been proved quite successful for both slow learners and high achievers.
To advance the confidence level of students, the department suggests the habit of an experimental learning strategy – ‘Anusandhan’, wherein the knowledge is created through the transformation of experience. This method of learning process facilitates the students to practice leadership quality, to work as a team, to share knowledge and to instill research aptitude.
The department promotes e – learning among students by providing an environment in which technology can be used in the precise manner to acquire knowledge anytime and from anywhere.
Milestones of the Department
• Workshops Conducted
- • One day state level workshop on ‘Microsoft Visual C++ & VB.Net’ on September 22, 2010
- • Microsoft Faculty Development Workshop on ‘ICT in Higher Education and Cloud Computing’ on March 16, 2011
- • Microsoft Skill Development Workshop on ‘Windows Azure, Windows Phone 7 (WP7) and Virtualization’ on February 24, 2012
- • National Level Faculty Development Workshop on ‘Research Opportunities in Computer Science’ on March 16, 2013
- • Workshop on ‘IT Security and Ethical Hacking’in association with Java Systems from August 23 – 25, 2013
- • Workshop on ‘Hands – on Android Development’, in association with Innovative Institute of Network Technology (IINT), Bangalore from September 20 – 21, 2014.
• The E – bulletin, E– Waves
To provide a platform forunleashing creative potential of the department, E –Waves, the E– bulletin was launched in 2013. It plays a major role incultivating research aptitude among the students. The key objective of “E– Waves” is to keep all to be acquainted with the various activities of our department and the recent technological advancement in the domain of Information Technology.
The Placement and Career Guidance Cell (PCGC) of SCC has been making commendable efforts to place the students in reputed companies. The students are given rigorous coaching throughout the three years both by resources from inside and outside to face the recruitment process. Many students of the department are placed in MNC’s such as Infosys, Wipro Technologies, Tech Mahindra, Cognizant, Samsung and HPthrough PCGC every academic year.
• TechReunite, Alumni meet
Department organizes alumni meet, Tech–Reunite, an enjoyable and interactive programme for the alumni. The informal event has sharing of ideas, many games and a lot of entertainment. The final year students of the department take responsibility to arrange the alumni meet and it continues to remain as a memorable experience witheveryone.